Saturday, September 17, 2011

Guest Post - Table for Four

Not Your Momma’s Carrot Cake

Hey!  I’m Nicole from Table For Four and I’m so excited to be featured on Amie’s fabulous food blog!  I am NOT a cook.  I have a few good recipes that I repeat over, and over and… over.  But Amie asked for some guest bloggers and I couldn’t resist. 

I named this recipe “Not Your Momma’s Carrot Cake” because it’s not like anything you’ve had before… it’s not a “traditional” carrot cake.  It’s not like the carrot cake your momma makes… because it’s the carrot cake my husband’s momma makes!  It’s my mother-in-law, Rosana’s famous carrot cake. 

This cake is seriously good.  It’s light and airy with a chocolate frosting that wont leave you feeling like a fatty.  In fact, we eat it as a breakfast cake mostly.   Yes, I just used the words “breakfast” and “cake” in the same sentence… are you hooked yet?

Here’s what you’ll need:


For cake:
Flour- 3 cups
Sugar- 2 cups
Vegetable Oil- >1 cup
Baking Powder- 1 Tbs
Baby Carrots- 8 oz (half bag)
3 Eggs

Preheat oven to 375.  In a large mixing bowl, add flour, sugar and baking powder.  In a blender, place eggs and oil and blend.  Then add carrots little by little and continue blending for about 2 more minutes or until all is smooth and creamy. 


Add carrot mixture to dry ingredients and stir.  If it becomes too thick and hard to stir, add a splash of milk to help thin it a bit. 

Once it’s all smooth and creamy, add mixture to the baking dish and bake for 25 minutes or until golden. 


Now for the frosting… try not to drool ok?


You’ll need:
Milk (the fattiest the tastiest… just sayin’)- 3 Tbs
Butter- 1 Tbs
Chocolate Chips- ¾ bag  (of 12 oz bag)


Add all ingredients to a microwave safe bowl and nuke it for 1-½ minutes, stopping half way to stir.  


When cake comes out of the oven, immediately spread chocolate frosting.  Don’t wait for it to cool, because the idea is to have the frosting melt into the cake a bit. 



Wait for it to cool.  Serve and enjoy!  Mmmmm.


Come on now, you guys didn’t actually think I was going to make a recipe.  Let’s face it… I’m not domestic!  I have to give a huge thank you to my mother-in-law who has taught me all I know in the kitchen.  (Sorry, Mom!)  She was really nervous, but the cake came out great!

Try it… I’m sure you’ll LOVE it and maybe one day it’ll be your recipe too.  Then your kids will say, it’s “My Momma’s Carrot Cake!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment